Many advances have been made in the assisted reproduction for horses in recent years. Artificial insemination is a widely practised breeding method in most sport horse breeds and most countries. This has resulted in such terms as “mail order” semen and “sexed” semen. More advanced technologies such as Intra Cytoplasmic Sperm Injection (ICSI), Deep Uterine Insemination (DUI) with low dose inseminations are more recent techniques.
We have observed that the quality of the sperm is very varying from stallion to stallion and this presents a problem to breeders and veterinarians around the world. We also know that some specific stallions are valuable even though they have bad sperm quality.
- Improves fertility rates, especially in sub-fertile stallions
- Improves freezeability of equine sperm
- Removes bacteria and other unwanted components from raw ejaculates or inseminating doses
- Removes Equine Arteritis Virus (EAV) particles
Studies performed on the hygienic aspects of semen storage for AI demonstrate that the addition of antibiotics to extenders is often not enough to eliminate the detrimental influence of bacteria on sperm motility, viability and fertility. EquiPure centrifugation prior to freezing removes bacteria and many viruses.
If the sperm to be treated are already frozen, the thawed ejaculate needs to equilibrate approximately 15 minutes in BotuSemen before centrifugation. This is necessary to allow the sperm to rehydrate and restore their correct density
- Colloidal silical particles coated with silane, in an isotonic salt solution. – Unopened bottles have a shelf-life of 2 years
- pH of 7.4 – 7.8 at room temperature and at 37°C
- Low endotoxin levels (<5.00 EU/mL)
- Terminally sterilised by autoclaving
- Bottles are made of borosilicate glass and silicone stoppers with tamper-evident seals.
- Bottles and stoppers have been 2-cell M.E.A. tested
Pack sizes and catalogue numbers:
EquiPure 100ml NI EPB-100
Precautions and Warnings
- When retrieving the sperm pellets, follow the instructions given in the insert to avoid inadvertent contamination.
- To ensure best possible results use aseptic conditions at all times.
- Use sealed, buckets or centrifuge tubes during centrifugation to avoid the creation of aerosols.
- Clean accidental spills with dampened cloth or paper.
- EquiPure™ does not represent any fire or combustion hazard. A material safety data sheet is available from the manufacturer or distributor.